Friday, January 20, 2012

God has Dirty Fingernails

"Yet God my King is from of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth." - Psalm 74:12

God's a pretty old dude.  I was thinking about this the other day as I was trying to wrap my mind around Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology.  He was saying that though God's existence is infinite, we're not to think of God as on a time-line because he both works in and stands outside of time.  Try rapping your brain around that and not getting a headache.

I like the verse above because it reminds me that "God is from old," and he has a history (I think - Grudem).  And his history screams salvation.

It's also a gritty verse and I like that.  The idea of "working salvation in the midst of the earth" reminds me of how God gets dirt under his fingernails and works out our salvation.  He does not stand far off, he's closer than we can ever comprehend and even describe.

And who's the worker in this verse?  God is.

So often I'm tempted to think of myself doing this or that for God, or even "serving" him, but the reality is that God alone works salvation.  This is such a core concept for me.

I've got a day ahead of me of trying to engage with teenager's questions, fears, doubts and faith.  And I don't have the answers.  And I can't work their salvation.  But I know a God who can.

In this I have freedom to dive in to God's work, to be about God's work and if I fail, to say hey, it's God's work in the first place.

The Psalmist above is crying out, how long will the nations scoff at us and have you forgotten us?  But then he remembers who his God is.  And he remembers his God's history.

Then he asks "Arise, O God, and defend your cause."  So here I go, may my King of old do his thing and defend his cause.

No comments: