Monday, January 16, 2012

Feeling Fallow?

"Sow for yourself righteousness; reap steadfast love; break up your fallow ground, for it is the time to seek the LORD, that he may come and rain righteousness upon you." - Hosea 10:12

Gardening is hard.  It requires expertise.  It requires getting your hands dirty, and finally it requires knowing terms like "fallow".

I have no idea what fallow ground is, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's ground that's bad, thus it must be broken up.  I am such an amazing biblical exegete!  Do not be discouraged by your own piddly bible interpretations, just email me your most difficult passages and I will break up the fallowness of them.

There's a reason that this passage jumped out at me this morning and for the life of me (OK maybe it's not that serious) but for the life of the squirrel I almost ran over this morning, I can't think of why it jumped out.  Perhaps it's because I highlighted it very carefully last time I read it.  Perhaps at that point, I had some deep and meaningful thoughts going on, that would revolutionize your day, guaranteed.  I'm betting that was the case.

Unfortunately, I'm feeling pretty normal today and I've weaning myself off of coffee (don't ever try this!).  Therefor I don't think I have anything all that meaningful to share other than it's a good idea to practice the verse above.

But I was talking with a new friend this weekend.  We immediately began to become "even more newer friends" when he said that his buds get tired of his bringing up "depression" and that he's experienced no real comfort when he shares that he struggles with his faith.  The answers he commonly receives are "Well, you do know that your relationship with God is a two-way street, and that you have to put in time (quite time) with God in order to not have these crises."

What a load of bologna!  I mean on one level it's true, so I guess it's sort of like salami, but then on another it's still total bologna.  We do need to seek God and have intentional time with him.  But in our seeking we need to know that there's a lot more mystery going on in this whole life of faith than having a quiet time.

So if you're like me, and sometimes feel like your heart is totally fallow, and quiet times don't seem to be cutting it, or even coffee - the greatest spiritual booster of all, perhaps you need to be reminded of who God is.  God is not only the author of all that's good/righteous, he is righteousness and goodness himself and when we seek him in all of our blah-ness, with our fallow and messed up lives and all, he answers.  That's what this fallow heart of mine tells me this morning.

OK, it's killing me now, I'm going to have one innocent cup of coffee.  Please don't tell my nutritionist, Melissa.


No comments: