Thursday, September 27, 2012

God Rest

"For the LORD has chosen Zion; he has desired it for his dwelling place: "This is my resting place forever; here I will dwell, for I have desired it." - Psalm 132:14

I'm really tired.  While yesterday I slept in until !11AM!, this morning at !3AM! David marched into my room and informed me that I had forgotten to give him back scratches before bed.

Jerk.

I don't know how he knew I hadn't given him back-scratches before bed.  He was asleep when I carried him to bed.  Maybe it was just a wild guess.  But he was right.  I hadn't.  He had me.

So I slid out of bed to do penance.  I walked with David up the long flight of stairs to his room,  layed down with him and fell asleep (I know experienced parents everywhere were yelling "NO!  Don't do it!").

But I love getting to sleep with David.  Just to be with him and watch him rest brings me rest.  Even with as tired as I am today, I'd probably do it again.  And I think this is part of what God getting across in the verse above.  He desires to rest with us.  He finds rest in watching us rest.

We talk a lot in Christian circles about entering into God's rest.  But what about this God who enters into ours?  This hints a lot of the incarnation, does it not?

I love it.  The bible always surprises me.