Thursday, October 18, 2012

Molding

I can still picture my bedroom.  It was pretty bare save my bed, a super-bright light-bulb and curtains holding out the darkness.

As I remember it, I'd climb into bed and wiggle my toes deep under the chilly covers.

Then I would lay facing up, reveling in the warmth rising up around me.

Looking up I would notice the crown molding as if for the first time.  I gazed at its round smooth curves and enjoyed how creatively it brought wall and and ceiling together.

Some of my fondest memories come from staring at ceilings.  Times when my mind was at rest.

Sadly these days, my mind is rarely at rest.  I live a restless life.  I can blame it on a restless culture, but I know the restlessness begins with me.  I live detached, stumbling through dark rooms searching for I don't know what.

But a restful mind is a gift from God.  It is a mind that is free to notice reality, free to wonder and to wander.  It's free to notice the very good in God's creation.

And as I remember my bedroom, it was very good, until I remembered that I had to get out of bed to turn off the light.