Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"Restling"


"When you come into the land that I give you, the land shall keep a Sabbath to the LORD." - Leviticus 25:2

It's always cool to pull a quote from the most boring book in the Bible, Leviticus. It makes me feel extra holy, and hey isn't that what Leviticus is all about?

Speaking of holy, with my resolution of "little suicides" yesterday, I'm finding they're sort of tiring. Resolutions are hard for me. My body revolts at resolutions. If I was in a revolution, there would have to be no resolutions, or I'd revolt against the revolution and the whole thing would unravel, at least for me.

What I'm trying to say in a very round about way is that I need rest. I can't enter into this whole "little suicides" thing without a lot of rest. And in a paradoxical way in order to move in God's kingdom, in this world as a follower of Christ, we've got to be in a constant state of rest.

For me this whole following Jesus thing really is impossible. Every time I try, I fail. Sometimes I fail spectacularly, with things going BOOM. But when I give up and let Jesus lead, it's sort of like a home-coming or actually living.

That may be why Jesus said to us "take up your cross and follow me" as well as "my burden is light." If I can experience the truth that Jesus is with me ALL THE TIME, as my brother has been reminding me, this process of following can be very peaceful and restful. My body, mind, emotions and spirit will be stretched no doubt, but it will be like a good run when I'm in shape. I believe I will feel rested and full at the end.

No comments: