Monday, September 19, 2011

Consider


"Therefore, holy brothers, you who share in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus... hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope." Hebrews 3:1,6

I don't know about you (in fact I don't know anything about you - unless you let me know you're read this), but I spend a ton of time taking my spiritual temperature. Am I "in" God's will or am I "out"? Am I drifting from him or towards him? Am I even his?

When my eyes are focused on me, I don't have much time for all this look to Christ and "hope in him" stuff. This hit me like a really soft ton of bricks last night.

I was just laying in bed minding my own business, when I realized how little I look, consider and meditate on Christ - his life and work. And this is strange if my life is indeed tied to his.

I would rather make sure I have perfect thinking and doctrines, than simply consider Jesus. But as I began to just think about Christ (and my hobbies of course - I always think about biking as I fall asleep. Idol? Maybe...) last night I grew in confidence. For if I am his and he is mine than I have the greatest freedom in the world - the freedom to dive into the deep realities of God, WITH CONFIDENCE.

I don't need spiritual check-ups or navel gazing anymore, I need and have Christ.

I think this is what this whole growing in gospel thing is about, learning to quit trying to save our selves and learning to look at our savior. It's kind of obvious I know, but it's fun when it hits me and fun to share. For if this is true than we are indeed free, free to look to and hold onto Christ, regardless of what kind of mess we're in, or are.

No comments: