Friday, July 1, 2011

Perfect Patience


"But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life." - Paul to Timothy

I'm not a very patient person. In fact just writing about patience is making me feel impatient. I am so impatient that by the end of this sentance I will want to be done with this post.

Well, it's not that bad, but I am pretty impatient.

Take yesterday for example: I had to wait 10 minutes for my #1 value meal at McDonalds. I thought we were underwater or something, people were moving so slow!

Then I went to get gas as I'd impatiently not stopped for a long time and was running on empty. Of course the gas station's system was down. So I huffed and puffed my way to one down the street. Then this lady in front of my really wanted a specific type of cigarette that she just couldn't see on the shelf. She repeated over and over and over, yes, and over again, "No, not that one, not that one, not that one..." I think that would be my hell, listening to her try to this obsessive compulsive cigarette shopper find the right package of cigarettes... FOREVER!

Then I got on the highway and they were doing work. The guys with pretty (pretty annoying) flashy lights and orange vests had broken the highway and it wasn't working. So I got off and quickly got lost. I found two dead ends, and I was beginning to wonder, "Is God trying to say something." Probably, so I tried my best to ignore it.

Then I was driving up the mountain and I got behind an out-of-towner from Alabama who was worried about all the curves. I love curves! If you aren't on two wheels going up and down Lookout Mountain, you aren't going the speed limit, dang it!

Aaaargh!

But just that morning I had read the verse above in Timothy. It's a real testament about God. He's a patient guy. Can you imagine following around spiritual slow-pokes like us? And if Paul is saying he was a slow-poke, imagine where we stand. Very still. Barely moving. I could walk faster! Why are you even driving a car! Just get out and walk!!!

And then there's the whole thing of God's patience being perfect. I guess God's not really a perfectionist because he's perfect. And in Paul's life this perfect patience is on display as an example: God can and will save and work with anyone.

It's a good thing. I'm too impatient to read my Bible this morning. Hopefully I'll get to it for my sake, and others. I think I have a patience hang-over from yesterday. I just want to ride my bike and fill my day with fun stuff. Isn't that what Fridays are for? To cut out early on work and go fish or something?

We'll see... Maybe God's patience will rub off on me today and I'll experience a little eternal life. Life that continues, life that's not just a series of flittered away moments. I pray that I will.

(Note on picture: Ronald McDonald is on my list of the creepiest people alive. I think he should be exiled to Siberia and forced to watch all those creepy commercials of himself from the 80's. Also he should watch Barney.)

No comments: