Friday, August 17, 2012

Read for Your Life!

"Behold the days are coming," declares the Lord GOD, when I will send a famine on the land - not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD." - Amos 8:11

I have the words of the LORD on my Kindle now.  Sounds kind of funny doesn't it?

I just bought the Kindle version of ESV Study Bible for eight bucks, and I couldn't be more pleased.  If I spent the next year or so reading through all the tools and gadgets it offers, I would be well served as a minister to youth.  But alas, I've read it all before right?

This is the pitiable attitude of my heart at times.  I have gone into a self-inflicted famine of God's word, and I wonder why my life seems to have lost it's luster.

My guess is that many Christians don't really like being Christians, and one of the primary reasons is that they  have either forgotten, or simply grown tired of reading the words of God.  In scripture we encounter God.  Boom!  Through scripture we meet our maker.  Boom!  But we've turned scripture into chincy placards, pithy advice,  pokey art and references for birthday cards.

However, it is through God's word that God takes us by the hand, leads us up as onto a mountain top, and helps us see  our hope and wildest longings met in his coming kingdom, his promised land (I've been reading a lot of NT Wright).  We look out and behold our hope through these simple words.

Yet, like the people of Israel, I grumble.  I don't want the words of life for food, I want God to fill my belly.  I want God to make me feel good.  I want God to be like my favorite McDonald's joint, quick and easy service, everything I need for a balanced meal, with a quick slide of plastic.  Don't even give me the receipt, I won't read it.

So what an absolute privilege it is to read these words of life on my Kindle, and to be reminded that there's a lot more going on than I'm aware of, but I am invited to come check it out.

What is God up to?  Read on...